Monday, January 15, 2007

The Seahawks Loss is My Gain

I got more out of the Seahawks loss yesterday than I could have imagined getting out of a win, Thank You for the inspiration and the great Season, Seattle! Sometimes the knowledge and experience you get from failure is more important than success.


I was hurting before, during, and after the Seahawks loss and I didn't realize it. I kept telling myself through the playoffs, all I want is for the Seahawks to play their best and I will be happy. But as the Chicago kicker made the field goal to win the game and all of a sudden a huge emptiness filled my body, I realized that I had been kidding myself about the expectations I had for the Seahawks. I had really put all the eggs of my happiness into the Seahawks winning the Superbowl!

Enjoy the process, it might be all you get for a while. I saw the players smiling during the game and having a good time. I couldn't understand why the players weren't taking the game more seriously when they were playing. Didn't they know that they had to be serious in order to succeed? In fact it was I that got the lesson, in being serious to succeed you miss out on all the happiness you could have in the process of success. They were having that happiness.

I listened to the coach and the Seahawk players after the game and they sounded pretty OK with the whole "we did our best and we just came up short" thing. Didn't they realize they just failed and that they should feel bad! In actuality they hadn't failed at all, it just took me until now to see it!

The principle of Success that the Seahawk players and coaches were following is that you set the big and exciting, yet attainable goal (win the Superbowl) and you work your hardest and do your best to achieve that goal, then whether you achieve it or not at the end of that day you look at yourself and say "I did my best and I respect that", there is where you truly go home successful everyday!

What I learned from the Seahawks trip up in their quest to win a Superbowl this year was to double check once in a while to make sure I am being honest with what my expectations are, being happy doesn't mean I am not doing my best, and when I come up short some days it doesn't mean that I am a failure I just didn't get what I am going for today(or maybe this year), I am still a success! Thank you for the lesson in winning and for the wonderful season Seattle!



No comments: